Friday 14 November 2014

Project Linus and Country Living


I have had a wonderful week with a bit of Mother /Daughter time
and spending a couple of days with some wonderful quilters
doing what we love best.

Until recently I had never heard of Project Linus and
for those of you who are also unaware of this organisation here is a short introduction.
It was originally started
in the US in 1995 to make and donate 'security blankets' to 
children with cancer in a local hospital.
It was named Linus after the peanuts character created by Charles Shultz
who gave his permission to use the name in such a good cause.
It was started up in the UK in 2000 and well over 211,000
quilts have been handed out so far. 
The Norfolk branch  will give quilts to  any child 
who is going through a really tough time whether it be 
in Hospital,  foster care, bereavement and premature baby units.
Hundreds of quilts a year.
Sew Creative at Wroxham barns where I go for my quilting group
decided to hold 4 days this week to coincide with Children in need
and create as many quilts as we could.




The fabric was manly given by the shop with 
some of the quilters bringing in their scraps which 
would be suitable to use on children's quilts.
There was about 10/12 ladies there everyday
and we had a little system going on with
a couple of ladies cutting fabrics into blocks
which the next lot stitch into strips ( the strippers)






It was then added to backing and wadding by
a quilt as you go method.


Some for boys and some for girls.


They need various sizes from 20 inch quilts
for the premature babies up to single bed size for teenagers.


With one day to go, when I left today 
they had nearly 25 quilts made
including these pretty little ones all made by one lady.


This was the first one completed.
If you want to find out more then have a look at the
UK website here .





The day in between my quilting days was spent in London
with my little one, her boyfriends Mum and her daughter.
A real girly bonding day and it was great fun.

Sorry if the photos are up to much but I had tried a couple of the
liquors in the food hall by the time I took these. lol


We all caught the train from Norwich and made our way
to the London Business design centre at the Angel Islington
where Country Living Magazine where holding their 
Christmas Fair.




There were a lot of people there as expected with 
stall sover 3 floors.  There appeared to be a lot selling cashmere and scarfs
but also a nice selection of crafts, vintage and christmas decorations.




I did managed to buy a couple of Christmas presents
and got a few ideas for others as well as 
ideas for things to do around the house.

I loved this horse not sure how I would have coped
on the tube with it though.


These boxes were another favourite.


Santa greeted you as you entered on a stall
chock a block with dried fruit and flowers.


Then a nice  italian meal for heading back to Liverpool Street
for our train home.



So a busy but very enjoyable week 
but I am looking forward to a fairly quite weekend.

Hope you all have a good weekend and 
speak again soon.

Gillxx


3 comments:

  1. What a fantastic project, I love when crafting can help others in need.

    The CL Christmas Fair looks lovely, I would have ended up spending too much money if I had visited I think!!

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The project is wonderful, lovely quilts
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a great time! I've heard of project Linus and the women's group I belong to have made them some blankets. They also take knitted and crocheted blankets as well as quilts.

    ReplyDelete