Friday 18 July 2014

National Treasures

We all have a list of places we would like to visit
and things we want to do, don't we.
Well on my recent holiday to Yorkshire and Northumberland
 I have been lucky enough to have done several of the things
on my list although
I can't believe we have been home nearly a week and
I'm only just showing you some photo's.


This was our first stop after leaving Harrogate.

Fountains Abbey and Studley Water Gardens
were on our way North and it was one of the places on my list.
It's one of those places you see on the T.V quite a lot and 
looks very  atmospheric.  



It certainly lived up to my expectations and Mr T and I 
spent several hours wandering around and sitting by 
one of the lakes drinking coffee in the sunshine.


It was built in the 12th century by Cistercian monks
and is the best preserved abbey of it's kind but fell victim
to the dissolution of the monasteries in the 16th century.
The water gardens are a Georgian addition and 
are set in lovely grounds. It is now run by the National Trust
and is well worth a visit if your near Ripon.



These little fellas were hiding in the eaves of the visitor
centre and had quite an audience.





Next day was Bamburgh Castle which took my breath away.
I have to admit it was not on my list but was 
on our way up the Northumberland coastal route
and was a fantastic place to stop for lunch.


It was too nice a day to actually go inside the castle
and beach was calling us. It gave us a wonderful view.
You can imagine how daunting it looked to attacking armies
can't you.


The local giants left their dice just laying around on the beach.


Next stop Holy Island, Lindesfarne.
This has been near the top of my list for years.


It was mid afternoon before we could cross the causeway to the island
due to the tides but it was worth the wait.












Enough said I think.

I'll leave the rest for another post.

Have a great weekend.

Gillxx












5 comments:

  1. We have visited Fountains Abbey and Holy Island, Lindesfarne. They're both amazing places to go to. Glad you enjoyed visting them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gill i'm a little green over here..... with envy........ My goodness the places you get to visit...That castle is amazing!! Brings back fond memories of our years spent living in Germany. We didn't have alot of money but nearly every weekend was spent exploring the countryside.... Thanks for sharing! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks lovely, and the sun shined! I used to hate going up north as it always seemed so cold and wet and miserable, however, in the past couple of years, my opinion has changed. Now I look forward to my visits, although I do let my friend tell me where we ar going, as she knows the area. Its a wonderful feeling when you can cross things off your list isn't it :-) suex

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks lovely, reminds me of the years I spent living in Yorkshire, Fountains was always a very popular spot with my kids.

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gill, I have visited loads of Yorkshire towns and cities but never done any of the country-side - I really should! Of course as my husband is a Geordie we know Northumberland very well, I always want to go and stay on Lindisfarne out of season, just settle back into island life and relax. We only went quite recently, despite having lived up there years ago, we just never got round to going. Lxx

    ReplyDelete