Wednesday 22 February 2012

Vintage Padded Hangers-Tutorial

I have been asked how I made the padded hangers from my last post (monthly makes) so I thought I would have a go at writing my first tutorial and show you how I made them.
I know there are instructions in books such as Cath Kidston Sewing but this is the way my Mum used to make them and as we all know Mums way is best.


Obviously the first thing you need is a hanger, I have quite a few wooden hangers but a plastic one would also work. You also need something to use as a wadding. My Mum used old stockings on one of hers which worked perfectly well and is a great way to recycle an old pair, although I've even used them to re-stuff a much loved rag-doll who was looking a bit sorry for herself.
But I digress (as usual)


So cover the hanger with the wadding, then measure your hanger
and cut a rectangle of fabric to fit around it.


I then decided how I was going to embellish it  and
decide if it needs to be added to the fabric
before or after you cover the wadding.




I went for the pretty trim and lace on just one end as the other end had some
 embroidery on the fabric already and I didn't want to cover it up.
The trim was sewn on before wrapping the linen cover
 around the padded hanger and slip stitching  into place.



Then add a small button to each shoulder to help keep the
hanging ribbon in place and a bow at the bottom of the hook.


And voila finished
Easy eh.


If you want to have a go with vintage Linens and don't have any, have a look at my Etsy shop  Lavender Linen and lace for the Inspirational packs.



Hope that was clear enough and you have fun making your own--if you do.

Sprak again soon.

Gillx


3 comments:

  1. Very pretty. I have made some padded hangers from plastic hangers, but plastic hangers are all different shapes and none are quite the same as wooden ones.
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Gill! I can't wait to give these a try! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to have a go at covering hangers, now I really must.

    ReplyDelete